Sunday, October 3, 2021

50 Peaks by 50 Part 3 - 20-25/50

20/50 - Aug. 3, 2021: Squaw Peak: 7.9 mi, 2,750 ft.  Although I had hiked in Rock Canyon in the shadow of this peak dozens of times when I was a student, I had never been to the top of Squaw Peak.  Andrew beat me to the top of this one but was willing to do it again on a somewhat smoky day (due to the California and Oregon wildfires.


 





21/50 - Sept 11, 2021: Y-Mountain East Peak: 7.0 mi, 3,549 ft.  This isn't quite a repeat since last time I did the false western peak.  This side has a great view of the mountains beyond, and once again I love the high aspen forest.  I actually hiked to the top of the Y with a huge group of BYU Mechanical Engineering students, and as we did the sun shown only on campus. Then, to celebrate my birthday I continued to the top.



22-23/50 - October 2, 2021: Timpanogos Main Peak (repeat), Bomber Peak: 17.3 mi, 4,729 ft.  While I had hiked Timp once before, I had not taken the Timpooneke trail, so most of this was new to me, and just for good measure I threw in Bomber Peak. The fall colors were unbelievable, some say the best in several years.


 
In the middle of this picture you can see one of the peaks (probably East Peak) that I had left behind just a few hours ago.  This little waterfall provided a little extra hydration for the trip.

I started early and saw the sun rise on the trail.  This is looking over towards Emerald Lake.  In the first basin, I could see lights from other hikers on the hillside and Orion in the sky above.  (The photo doesn't do it justice.)


As I approached Bomber peak, these guys were coming down the trail.  I backed off and sat to listen to General Conference and as I did they made their way right past me.

 
I attempted to follow the ridge all the way to the north peak as well, and made it almost there but at this point I was out of time and out of energy.  I'll be back for you, North Peak.

24/50 - November 20, 2021: Lion's Head (trail to Provo Peak): 9.0 mi, 3,720 ft.  For some time now I've wanted to climb Provo Peak, that white capped mountain that looms behind and above Y Mountain.  I ran out of time and energy but I did climb a great little peak that is on the way.  While the Y-part of the trail is not so much fun, you do climb past it quickly and the upper basin is beautiful.

Forget about saving the best for last, here is a panorama from the top, where you can see the Slate Canyon peaks on the left, Y-mountain is hidden in the middle, Timp and Cascade way in the distance right of center, and Provo peak on the far right.
 
When hiking the Y you could hardly believe there were any trees on the mountain above; this hike takes you through some great forested areas.


But my favorite part of this hike is the feel of the huge basin that you are moving through as you get behind Y Mountain.  Who knew all of this was hiding just out of sight as I sit at my desk in Provo?

25/50 - December 3-5, 2021: Angel's Landing & Zion's West Rim: 22 mi, 5,600 ft (over three days). We had unseasonably warm weather, so Andrew and I took three days to hike in Zion's.  We did about 5 miles in (gaining 3000 feet) to Campsite #2, which had the amazing view that you see below.  Day 2 we hiked the loop on the West Rim, and Day 3 we hiked down with a detour to visit the top of Angel's Landing.  While it is popular and busy, Angel's Landing is truly one of the most amazing spots on the earth.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment